Website Foreign & Commonwealth Office
We are currently looking for a Digital Marketing & Engagement Officer to assist in the design and delivery of commercial events, activities and campaigns, which for the last two years have shifted to on-line formats – e.g. webinars, seminars, trade fairs or business round tables. A key aspect of the role will be to monitor events and activities across the France Network and spot opportunities for innovative partnerships or campaigns which will help build the British Embassy and DIT’s visibility in, France.
The British Embassy in Paris is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic, commercial and consular interests overseas. We do that here by building a great Franco-British relationship. The Embassy advises the UK government on French policy, and support close cooperation in areas such as defence, foreign policy, the EU, science and innovation, energy, sustainable development, climate change, migration and counter-terrorism. The Department for International Trade (DIT) sits within the Embassy and assists both British firms looking to develop their business in France and French companies looking to invest in the UK. We organise high quality commercial activities and online events to support both objectives and are looking for a team member to help deliver our programme.
We are currently looking for a Digital Marketing & Engagement Officer to assist in the design and delivery of commercial events, activities and campaigns, which for the last two years have shifted to on-line formats – e.g. webinars, seminars, trade fairs or business round tables. A key aspect of the role will be to monitor events and activities across the France Network and spot opportunities for innovative partnerships or campaigns which will help build the British Embassy and DIT’s visibility in, France. You will also help manage various budgets within the team, tracking spend in different areas and delivering value for money in your choices of suppliers etc. Other duties may be added to meet business needs but will generally be in line with the overall remit of the role.
As well as being committed to excellence in event management, the successful candidate will be a real team-player, both within the immediate team and in providing ad-hoc support to DIT and wider colleagues. The ideal candidate will be creative, organized, and proactive, identifying opportunities to link policy, marketing and events in order to land a message and promote trade remotely.
In addition to working on some of our most high profile activities and gaining valuable working knowledge of various teams within the Embassy, the position opens the successful candidate up to training and development opportunities and an organisation that prides itself on its staff wellbeing programmes and flexible working practices.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Events and Activities: Plan, deliver and evaluate high quality remote/digital activities in support of DIT priorities. Provide advice to officers at the design stage, encouraging creativity and join-up whilst also driving high standards. The delivery element of the role will involve developing specific event pages on our web platform (Aventri), monitoring online events on Teams Live, designing and sending invitations, managing registrations and guest lists, organising event logistics. You will work closely with other Embassy staff and act on feedback from clients and colleagues to continually improve customer service and impact/quality of activities organised. You may be asked to support the comms and marketing team by supplying content and images from events for social media and campaigns. (ca.60% of time)
Marketing Support: Develop and implement marketing support to promote DIT commercial activities organised online or in person. Support the marketing lead in suggesting marketing opportunities, sourcing quotes and engaging with suppliers. Ensure financial processes are followed correctly, and that invoices are received and paid in good time. You will set up and track accurate budgets for different events and teams. (ca. 20% of time)
Commercial: Where necessary, manage rental of the Embassy’s facilities to commercial clients, providing logistical support and advice, liaising with Embassy facilities management and other relevant colleagues, and overseeing/attending events on the day as required. (ca. 10% of time)
Systems and Partnerships: Continue harmonisation of events management processes in the Embassy facilities. Within available budgets and operational capacity, propose improvements to increase value for money or quality/impact of events. Identify and (where appropriate) build new partnerships to extend the France Network’s knowledge of, and impact and visibility in France. (ca.10% of time)
- Excellent communication skills in both French and English (Level C1*) to work with both commercial, supplier and internal stakeholders
- Experience in digital events management/project management
- Excellent remote organisational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to forward plan and coordinate digital/remote activity among a wide range of stakeholders
- Creativity and initiative, with the ability to find innovative solutions or partnerships, and constructively challenge traditional approaches
- Flexibility in working patterns and methods, including under pressure
- IT skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, Canva)
- Strong interpersonal skills, customer focus and the ability to build strong working relations quickly to ensure the success of projects.
- Budgeting and financial management skills
- Event or project management qualification
- Experience of using design software (eg. InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Experience of running commercial social media accounts
You may be required to work outside of the Embassy’s normal working hours in the event of activities being held in the early morning or evening (depending upon the prevailing pandemic guidelines) and time off in lieu will be granted to cover this work.
All appointments are subject to professional background check satisfactory security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to provide a copy of his/her passport or national identity card for all nationalities held, an up-to-date criminal record (casier judiciaire) for recent countries of residence (which can be obtained online at https://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/cjn/b3/eje20 ), two written proofs of address (utility invoices and/or bank statements) and two references.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in France are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local French employment law and FCDO guidance for Local Staff. The posts we offer are not an entry point into the UK’s Diplomatic Service.
Your application will only be considered if you follow the guidance below:
- Your application must be sent in English only.
- Your application must clearly indicate all nationalities you hold.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in France and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
- Please refer to the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages”. We are looking for a C1 level or equivalent. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
To apply for this job please visit fco.tal.net.